Saturday, September 1, 2012

Les règlements

My grade 2 colleague, Anne-Marie Gouin-Wolbert, has incorporated the Whole Brain Teaching rules into her French Immersion classroom. Here they are:

  1. Je parle toujours en français.
  2. Je suis les instructions rapidement.
  3. Je lève la main pour parler.
  4. Je fais des bons choix.
  5. Je rends mon enseignante fière de moi.
The first rule is, of course, really important in grade 2 FI. We both liked her wording of rule #5 as we prefer that the children are tasked with making us proud of them, as opposed to the more ethereal "making us happy".

I think she did a great job! 

As our little grade ones have not had any previous French experience at all, I'll drop her rule #1 until later in the year. My 5 year-old littlies are generally bussed in from other areas and need lots of time getting to know each other and feeling at ease and confident in a new school and in a French class. They need to be able to whisper and speak to each other in English for the first few months. This is not how I approached my AIM core French classes but then I only had the grade ones for 30 minutes a day.

Happy to hear any other approaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment